Agriculture is a key industry to the development of the Afghan economy and Afghanistan’s produce is world class! With such a diverse-climate and physical geography, a wide variety of vegetables and fruits can be grown over extended seasons. Orchards, fields and greenhouses of the products below dot the landscape, growing more than enough food for domestic and export markets.
Fruits and Vegetables: Nature’s Magic
Want to look and feel great? Don’t reach for the latest magic supplement pill or powder. Instead, eat more fruits and vegetables! Fruits and vegetables are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber – which protect against heart disease, stroke, certain cancers and other diseases. Fruits and vegetables add flavor without adding lots of calories. They help keep you fit naturally.
Follow these tips to get the most benefit from fruits and veggies:
- Choose fruits and vegetables in a rainbow of colors. Each color does something special to help our bodies. So eat a variety.
- Make at least half your plate fruits and veggies. Fill-up on low calorie goodness!
- Eat fruits and vegetables as snacks and with meals. Fruits and vegetables are great ANY time.
What’s So Special About Fruits and Vegetables?
Fiber! Folic Acid! Vitamin C! Potassium! Vitamin A! What is all this stuff?
It’s just some of the stuff that makes fruits and vegetables so good for us. Each color fruit and vegetable has something special to make us healthy. So eat as many different colors as you can and be sure you are getting all the “good stuff.”
- Choose dark green leafy veggies for strong bones and healthy eyes
- Choose yellow and orange fruits and veggies for a strong immune system and glowing skin
- Choose red fruits and veggies for to protect your heart
- Choose blue/purple fruits and veggies to maintain memory and your urinary system
- Choose white/brown fruits and veggies for a healthy heart and blood pressure
NO EXCUSES – Choose Fresh, Frozen, Canned or Dried
Which is the best choice when selecting fruits and vegetables? They all are great choices depending on what works best for you. Consider what is in season and price. Consider if the fruit or vegetable will be eaten out of hand or used in a recipe. Consider if you will use the produce immediately or store it away for another time.
- Choose fresh seasonal produce when possible for the best buy
- Choose frozen fruits and veggies for convenience and quality
- Choose canned fruits and veggies for long shelf life
- Choose dried fruits and veggies for easy transporting
Enjoy spring fruits and vegetable
with these recipes:
Make the most of summer
produce with these tasty recipes:
As the weather turns cooler,
try some of these Fall
Try these hearty, delicious
recipes in on a cold winter day:
Year Round Recipes
Whether you buy fresh, frozen, canned or dried fruits and vegetables, these recipes can be enjoyed by your family any time of year!
Start your day with a healthy and delicious breakfast! Below are quick and easy breakfast recipes that your family will love!
Quick Easy &Recipes
Breakfast Lunch & Dinner
Are you looking to try something different for lunch? Check out these tasty, healthy lunch recipes!
Looking for quick and tasty ideas for dinner? Try these delicious recipes!