What variety of apples is the best?
The apple is one of the most complete and healthy fruits known for its content in carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins and potassium, being highly recommended for all ages.
The apple is the fruit of the apple tree (Pyrus malus L.), tree of the Rosaceae family, which also includes other fruits such as peach, apricot, plum and cherry, to name a few examples. Although the exact origin of the apple is unknown, it is believed that it comes from the crossing of several European and Asian wild apple species.
It is one of the most consumed fruits in the world. The large number of existing varieties make them available to the consumer throughout the year.
In our article about the apple season, we tell you, among other things, how to preserve and consume this fruit to fully enjoy its taste and its healthy properties. However, today we will be much more specific and we will tell you which variety of apples is the best for each occasion.
Types of apple
There are more than a thousand varieties of apples around the world. There are apples of all colors and for all tastes: red, yellow, green, sweet, aromatic, acidic … Boustan Sabz exports the best quality fresh apples to India. Some of the best known varieties in Afghanistan markets are:
- Red Apples
Red apples have more sugar than green apples, so they are usually the sweetest. Some of the advantages of this type of apples are:
- They prevent premature aging and protect the skin.
- They help to lower the fever, so they are ideal to fight colds.
- They act as painkillers, helping us to control our nerves and sleep better.
- They have a high iron content.
- Green Apples
Green apples have less sugar than the rest, which means not only that their taste is more acidic, but also that they are recommended fruits for diabetics. However, this is not the only advantage:
- They take care of your skin and protect it from the sun.
- They help reduce cholesterol levels.
- They favor our oral hygiene, since their hard skin acts as a substitute for dental floss.
- Yellow Apples
The main benefits of yellow apples for our health are the following:
- They help the eye.
- They protect the heart.
- They strengthen the immune system (since they are the richest in vitamin C).
- Golden Apples
The yellow apple par excellence is the Golden variety, which is characterized by its sweet and smooth flavor and crispy, juicy and refreshing texture, which oxidizes less easily than other varieties. It has a thin skin (although a little rough) and is very aromatic.
For these reasons, and due to the fact that it holds up very well the high temperatures of the oven, it is ideal for preparing desserts and compotes, although it is also recommended to eat it in raw. The Golden apple is the star of the apples.
The properties and health benefits of Apples
The apple provides the human being with a large amount of vitamins and other nutrients with beneficial effects for health.
Due to its fiber content, it acts as a regulator of numerous intestinal discomforts. Its raw consumption is an excellent natural toothpaste, cleans and whitens the teeth and favors the gums. These are some of its health benefits:
- Hydrates the body for its water content
- Reduces fluid accumulation
- Prevents cramps (contains potassium)
- Regulates blood pressure
- Strong antioxidant (high levels of vitamin E)
- It has soluble and insoluble fibers
- The peel has pectin that protects the intestinal mucosa
- To improve memory. The apple provides vitamins B1 and B6, which prevent mental exhaustion and strengthen memory. It is also a source of phosphorus, a mineral present in the phospholipids of the brain, potassium and sodium, essential for nerve conduction.
- To strengthen hair and nails. The apple provides iron, essential for strong hair and nails. It also contains pantothenic acid or vitamin B5, which is a promoter of hair regeneration.
- Against obesity. Fresh fruit, juices or a low-calorie whole-grain cookie should be the complementary food that satisfies the excessive appetite of young people, for the few kilocalories they provide, if we do not want them to walk towards overweight and obesity. Of course, all this complemented with the practice of some sport on a regular basis.
- To rest your eyes . When our eyes are dry due to poorly ventilated places, heating, computer use or simply for a long time, the apples provide water with vitamin B2 that hydrates them and improves the vision mechanism. The apple is especially indicated when the contact lenses are used.
The apple is a fruit that can be found almost all year round in the market given the many existing varieties. At the time of choosing the apples, those that present blows, soft areas, spots, or bad aspect in general should be discarded. It is better to choose the hard specimens, of intact skin, free of blows and that are more fragrant.
Apples are very well preserved several days after purchase. It is advisable to store them at room temperature in a cool place and protected from light, although they can also be stored in the refrigerator, in the compartment for fruits and vegetables. It is recommended, however, to take them out several minutes before eating them and keep them at room temperature, in order to better appreciate their aroma.